Imagine being able to hear sounds four times further away, at frequencies three times higher than humans. Now imagine it’s the fifth of November. Bonfire Night can be a sensory overload for those of us well prepared for it. For pets, it can be a terrifying experience.
Research shows that around 45% of all dogs are frightened by bright flashes and loud bangs. For cats and smaller animals the numbers are much higher. But with just a few simple steps, you can make Bonfire Night a lot more pleasant for your pets.
The RSPCA has an excellent video on ways to help calm pets during firework season.
- Walk dogs in the morning or during the day to avoid peak firework times
- Close windows and curtains to muffle sound
- Pop the TV on, or cue up some music to mask outdoor noise – apparently dogs find reggae really relaxing
- Create a quiet space for your dog or cat by draping blankets over a pet carrier or basket
- For pets who live outside, think about bringing them in for the night and add extra bedding so that they can insulate themselves from loud noises
- Consider investing in a pheromone diffuser or calming jacket. Both can help reduce stress in pets.
Pets happy? OK, now you’re ready to go out.
Bonfire night’s always a tricky time for animal lovers. But if your pets seem calm there’s no reason why you can’t pop out and enjoy the fun. At ADT we have a great range of pet-friendly solutions to help you both have a great Bonfire night.
When you’ve just got them settled the last thing you want is a loud alarm going off because they’ve tripped a sensor. Our ADT Smart Home experts can tailor systems that reduce false alarms, while cameras allow you to see what pets (and pet sitters) are up to while you’re out. All this means your pets can enjoy bonfire night without compromising home security. That means more peace of mind for everyone.
ADT home security
Around 45% of dogs are frightened by bright flashes & loud bangs. But with just a few simple steps, you can make Bonfire Night a lot more pleasant for your pets.
Protect your business
Our business security protects your livelihood and delivers peace of mind to you and your staff.
Get a free quote.
An ADT Home Protection Consultant will be happy to come to your home and recommend the perfect security solution based on your property and circumstances. To arrange a visit just click or call 01 620 5888